There is a sense of guilt that accompanies wanting to slow down. We would feel guilty because our society does not accept the concept. Instead our society has always rewarded whatever or whoever is faster. Being faster connotes being more productive, more vital, more energized. Our society has created this myth that whatever is faster, is automatically better. We have been conditioned to think this way.
So here are some tips to help you slow down without the guilt:
1. Take a step back and think about what you are doing. Is the activity you are doing, or have signed up for, something you really want to do or are you doing it because you should do it? Is this something that you can politely refuse and say no to? What's the downside of slowing down? There is none. You only have to gain from it. It is a quality of life decision.
2. Realize that wanting to slow down is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. You have the reins on your life and want a stronger quality of life. You value your time and want more time to do what you want to do. This is through simplifying your life.
3. Know that having and doing more activities does not make you more productive. It is a misconception. How about toning down your extra activities and concentrating on only a few that you really enjoy doing?
4. Speak with others and become passionate about slowing down. This is something to be proud of and not something to keep as a secret. You will see the eyes of others light up as they too want to regain the reins of their lives. They will ask you how you did it. Make it a conviction of yours and others will follow.
5. Be your own person. Just because your neighbors are on the fast track treadmill of life, does not mean you should be. Just because the other chilren have three afterschool activities does not mean your child should. Don't go with the flow. Instead make a conscious decision to slow down and simplify your life. Be a role model for those around you. Afterall your child never asked to be put on the treadmill.
For more information and to take the easy to follow steps to a greater quality of life support my ebook, worksheets and audio :